4 Positions Available
HMRC is the UK's tax, payments and customs authority and we have a vital purpose: we collect the money that pays for the UK’s public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
With targets increasing every year, expectations from customers rising and the financial constraints our department is under we need to make changes. For the Finance Function this means we have a really exciting but big transformation journey ahead of us and gives us a great opportunity to look at the way we do things and make them better!
Finance Transformation is the journey the finance function will take to develop and deliver improvements across Finance over the next five years and beyond. This transformation includes redesigning our processes around our customers, creating great online services, and making better use of the data we have to change the way we do our compliance work. It is also about making HMRC a great place to work by investing in your skills and career development, creating modern, collaborative working environments and offering more rewarding and interesting work.
About the Roles
We have up to 4 posts available within Strategic Finance. We are part of Corporate Finance and split into two key strands; Planning and In-year Financial Management. You will join one of these strands and be part of a team which fulfils a key role at the heart of HMRC. We work right across HMRC and with other Government departments, to support the delivery of our strategic objectives. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its performance, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate financial and performance data.
To deliver the best results for HMRC, you will need to demonstrate that you have developed some strategic thinking skills at a high level. You will need to have an appreciation of the wider government spending position, ministerial priorities, and to consider all those angles when developing options. We are looking for examples that show how you have brought all these considerations together when producing well-reasoned, professional advice for your senior management chain.
Your goal is to support our ambition for Finance to be at the heart of decision making across HMRC.
Depending on what strand of Strategic Finance that you join, your responsibilities will include;
• Managing HMRC’s in-year monthly reporting process including any strategic financial risks and appraising the department’s financial position.
• Agreeing and securing HMRC’s funding each year through continuous liaison with HMT spending team, coordinating HMRC’s Estimates and liaising with Other Government Departments on funding, charging and income;
• Support in delivering detailed plans for each of the next five years of HMRC's future spend, ensuring financial, workforce and performance plans are integrated and aligned with our strategy.
• Supporting the departmental planning process in the lead up to the 2019 Spending Review and working closely with stakeholders to ensure that any changes to the plan are appropriately incorporated into relevant years, with robust change control and approval from ExCom.
• Ensure stakeholders, including both HMRC and HM Treasury, are fully engaged and informed throughout, ensuring HMRC has sufficient funding to deliver its increasing objectives.
• Supporting HMRC integrated business planning, a continuous process that includes fiscal events and spending reviews.
• Through agreement with HMRC’s Executive Committee, setting budgets and efficiency targets.
• Leading the transformation of financial management across the department, including forecasting, cost management, and business planning.
• Analysing business plans, understanding trends, highlighting issues and drawing on insight from cross Departmental information to generate departmental strategies.
• Reviewing business area updates, identifying capacity issues that need to be addressed and advising ministers.
• Building strong relationships with business area strategy teams to understand the details within their business plans and help them understand the wider departmental position.
• Building strong relationships across HMRC and Other Government Departments to ensure that any issues/challenges are managed constructively. Seeing the big global picture and being able to think innovatively and imaginatively.
In order to succeed in this role, you’ll need to demonstrate the following:
• High degree of ability to, and previous experience of, operating strategically at business and departmental level – Demonstrating strategic thinking with an understanding of business groups and priorities.
• Communication skills - written and oral (as we often need to explain a complex story and be able to provide well-reasoned, professional advice for internal and external audiences) with the professional look.
• Stakeholder management, strong interpersonal skills to help us negotiate and deliver difficult messages with a strong track record of building effective partnerships very quickly across boundaries and with senior leaders.
• Previous experience in a finance team where you can demonstrate your financial skills and knowledge, as well as your analytical skills (ability to handle large amounts of data and derive insight, as we seek to add value) along with strong Excel skills.
• Whilst not essential, it is desirable that the successful candidate is part or fully qualified with a CCAB institute or CIMA.
• Have an appreciation of the wider government spending position, ministerial priorities and the overall UK economic outlook, and to consider all those angles when developing options.
• Previous leadership experience – The ability to build constructive relationships with senior leaders within your department, and that you are recognised as a leader and have acted effectively as an ambassador for finance within your department.